About Us

The site of the Fawn Brook Inn was originally a bathhouse. The building was built in 1927 by John and Lee McAllister as a general store. It was bought in 1935 by Augusta Mengedoht and run as a hunting lodge. It had eleven sleeping rooms and served buffalo steak and “trapped” bison stew for $3.50 per person, per night.

Augusta was an adventurous, independent woman who was known as “The Gun Woman” for always carrying two guns, and for hunting mountain lions in the middle of the night. She sold the place in 1946 to Charles Wettig. The owners in the 1950’s, 60’s, and early 70’s were John and Rose Reinhold, Jon and Kathy Richards, and Dick and Mary Bath Alford, during which time it was run as various restaurants.

Hermann and Mieke Groicher bought the place in 1978 and have continued to expand and enrich the restaurant, giving it a well-deserved reputation.

The Fawn Brook Inn is given five stars in Mobil’s Restaurant Guide.